Oh c'mon ... you know you want to leave me a comment...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Our Fiber Adventures Continue

So the knitting thing has been going great. Most of us have moved on from garter stitch... Gannon just finished the body of a fabulous Hogwarts scarf from the first Harry Potter movie- he just has to block it. Eli is working on a U of O scarf for his grandpa Jones - Krya on a ribbed one for Grandma Pike. Micah has made a hat and scarf set, a set of squares for a group afghan and recently got a beautiful skein of kid mohair haze with which she is making a very sophisticated wrap. Maybe she'll let me borrow it sometime... I made a beautiful cashmere vest for the baby which just just may fit him NEXT Christmas and have been having a lot of fun making felted bags - watch out one may be heading your way this Christmas season...

This all brings us to our next adventure... spinning!

A friend has graciously lent us her spinning wheel and we are learning the ancient art of spinning wool. I found a local artist who hand paints roving - the stuff is so absolutely beautiful that it feels almost sacrilegious for me to mangle it in my lame attempts to spin it into usable yarn.



But I'll keep on trying and see what happens - thank goodness for youtube and the library!

4 comments:

Days of Our Lives said...

Way cool! What is that thick braid? Is it just fleece?

MrsJones said...

It is roving - prepared wool for spinning. It is just beautiful soft yummy wool. A local fiber artist

http://www.blossomskincare.com/Dyelots.html

prepares and hand paints the fiber.

Anonymous said...

Hey I always wanted to try that. We just got back from TN for Thanksgiving and I'm always looking for a spinning wheel back there. I saw one about 10 years ago and never went back and got it and could still kick myself for not getting it.
Oh and its me Jen - good ole days of Long Beach

MrsJones said...

Jen - good to hear from you - tell your family in TN to keep an eye out at garage sales. My friend picked this spinning wheel up at one for only $30!